What does high-performance sales mean to you?
For me, I think Larry Levine captured it best on our Redefining Sales podcast when he said “sales professionals do what others find excuses for”.
High-performance sales for me is being able to consistently play a high-performance game month after month, year after year, and be disciplined enough to consistently perform proactive habits that keep your pipeline brimming full. It’s not what we do sometimes, it’s what we do consistently, even when we really don’t want to!
It’s not just natural talent or luck that separates high-performance sales people. It’s about having the right habits in place. So, without further ado, let’s jump into 8 high-performance sales habits that will help turbocharge your sales!
1. Always be learning. Just like a world’s number one professional athlete still has a coach and strives to find 1% improvements. The top sales performers have a growth mindset and are always looking for ways to improve their skills and learn. They read books, listen to podcasts, and take courses to stay ahead of the pack! They embrace what’s working in today’s market and leverage new tools, new approaches, and new research to keep them at the top. Build a learning habit by reading just 10 minutes a day.
Hot SR Tip: Our fav read, Atomic Habits by James Clear. Shameless plug, check out Redefining Sales podcast!
2. Be coachable. The best salespeople are open to feedback and willing to change their approach if they’re not getting the results they want. They embrace and seek out feedback from their clients, their mentors, their leadership and colleagues. They know that there’s always room for improvement. Build that habit by regularly and proactively seeking feedback.
Hot SR Tip: You should check out our game-changing enablement sessions here.
3. Build a sales system. The best salespeople have a system in place to keep track of their leads, prospects, and customers, and they know whom they need to follow up with and when. They are organised and disciplined with their sales process, so nothing slips through the net. Build the habit of leveraging your CRM as your best friend in sales.
Hot SR Tip: Streamline and automate tasks using your CRM. Set reminders for follow up and keep all of your client notes on file for quick and easy recall. Check out our guide to selecting the RIGHT CRM for your organisation here.
4. Set big goals with lead measures. The best salespeople don’t just want to hit their target, they want to smash it out of the park and they have a plan on how they will do it. For some it’s knowing they need 25 meetings a week, for others, it’s knowing the number of demos they need. Track lead measures that you can influence e.g., demo, consults, trials, etc. Create a time block of 15 minutes a day for a proactive activity that will move the needle on the big goals and maintain momentum. Track and measure your progress with a simple excel scorecard so you can keep yourself accountable. Build the accountability habit!
Hot SR Tip: If you aren’t familiar with The 4 Disciplines of Execution (4DX), now is the time!
5. Be persistent. The best salespeople don’t give up easily. Did you know that 60% of customers say no four times before saying yes and 48% of salespeople never even make a single follow up attempt?! Therefore, unless you are persistent, you’re missing a massive opportunity. Create a system for nurturing the “no’s” and treat it as a no for now (providing it is a qualified prospect!). high-performance sales takes an enormous amount of resilience, grit and perseverance. Build your persistence habit!
Hot SR Tip: 90% of sales stall because there was no next step. Always ask for a 2nd date and agree to your next step.
6. Respond with speed. Did you know those who respond to leads within 60 minutes are 7X more likely to go on to have a meaningful conversation (Harvard Business Review), and staggeringly 35-50% of sales go to the vendor that responds first?
Often, we are waiting for pricing or a proposal but in the meantime, keep leads warm with a placeholder call or email to acknowledge the request and set expectations for the next step. Over-communicate rather than under-communicate.
Hot SR Tip: So, channel your inner speedy Gonzales before your prospects go cold! Have an email template saved that you can simply tweak and tailor.
7. Build relationships. The high performers take a customer-centric approach to their relationships, they don’t just turn up when there is a deal to be had, they are in it for the long haul. Nobody likes the best friend that only turns up when they want something. Sales are one of the least trusted professions, so we need to proactively build and invest in the right relationships and play the long-term game to build ultimate trust. Too often we see sales professionals giving up too soon if there isn’t a quick win to be had.
Hot SR Tip: Set a monthly reminder for the relationships and stakeholders you want to nurture. Be consistent in turning up and adding value. Can you share a whitepaper, thought leadership piece, an event invite, etc?
8. Follow up: Out of all of the topics we discuss, follow up is the number one theme that emerges. We all know we need to do it, but most sales professionals are not consistent. The whirlwind and demands of the day get in the way, and most forget to follow up as they are leaving it to chance or memory. 80% of sales take 5 follow ups or more, and new prospects, on average, need 15+ touchpoints with your brand before converting, so you really need a system in place so that you never miss a beat.
Hot SR Tip: Implement Follow Up Friday, where you allocate time each Friday to ensure every prospect or potential lead is followed up. This way you’ll never miss a beat and build the ultimate sales habit!
If you’ve got any sales habits that work for you, we’d love you to share?! In the meantime, stay connected and up to date with the latest sales intel in our Inside Scoop.